Thursday, January 20, 2011

MGMAT 1:- 670(VA 36, QA 45) : A scratchy start

Last week I finally took the plunge and gave my first CAT. The result speaks for itself. Not a very good start but come on!! it was my very first test ... I have miles to go before I conquer the GMAT.
Before the test I was confident of scoring as high as a 50-51 in QA and doing reasonably well in VA. But as my scores portray I had a horrid time in both QA and VA. Manhattan GMAT QA is really tough. I would say it is a notch above the actual GMAT QA. Apart from time consuming Data Sufficiency questions there were some very tough probability and P&C questions.
VA was 'practical' with 700-800 score range questions being more difficult. RCs were not that tough except for some inference questions but CR was time consuming. I have this knack of assuming situations in CR which actually dents my accuracy.
The summary of the test goes like this :
VA : Score 36 ( missed the last three questions so lacked speed)
Maximum time taken in CR with least accuracy.
Minimum time taken in SC and RC.

QA: Score 45 ( could do only 30 questions, missed the last 7!!) 
Data sufficiency & Probability most time consuming.

Learings:
VA :
CR : Not more than 2 minutes in any question. It simply increase pressure and hence decreases accuracy.
Stay within the scope of the argument. The answer should be related to the argument. It should not bring an new condition.
SC : Not more than 90 seconds in any question. If you do not find the answer in 1.5 minutes than you probably do not get the concept of the of the question. Just make an intelligent guess and move on.
RC: I have been doing good in RC. May be a bit more comprehension required to avoid regression.

QA :
Set aside your EGO  and act practically. It is OK to make guesses in some questions. I do not need to answer all questions correctly to ace the QA section.

Overall, the test was a good reality check. The test lists time take to solve every question along with the expected time. The test also provides the stats for the worst attempt and the best attempt. MGMAT analysis is very detailed. You look at the stats and you know what went wrong. This was my free test, I will buy the whole set of 6 tests and give them like the actual GMAT. ( I did not attempt the AWA section in this one)

I also bought the Official Guide for Verbal Review 12th edition. I need more practice  in Verbal so why not practice with actual GMAT questions.

P.S : Hiatus in blogging should be blamed on my awesome trip to Goa. It took me a whole week to bring myself back from the beautiful beaches and mouth watering Sea food to the 'Not So Interesting' GMAT preparation. May be one day......I will have my own Shack on the Anjuna Beach.......what!! there is nothing wrong in dreaming .... :)

Cheers!!

No comments:

Post a Comment