Wednesday, December 1, 2010

El Clasico, Flash cards & Consulting

Sleepy eyes but can't sleep.  It is 2 a.m  and  I am still in office. The client got the application upgraded and there are some serious performance issues. The tech team is all engrossed in the problem but they also need a functional lead in case things go worse.
 Well, what the hell. I had a great start to the day. Watched the El Clasico and simply looooveeedddd Barca thrash Real 5-0. Five Clasicos in a row. FC Barcelona Rocks.
On the other side, I stumbled upon some really good stuff on beatthegmat.com. The site provides digitized GMAT flash cards for free( yes for Free). I went through them today. they are preety good.Some really cool facts and figures listed and very easy to read. What I really liked were the 'strategy' tips. "In a set of sentence correction questions around 20% are already correct". I might not vouch for the assumption blindly but while solving SC questions it is not easy to digest that the sentence in question is already correct. After all the section is called " Sentence Correction". I find SC very tough. Reasoning and RC are OK but SC god help me. I have an accuracy rate of 70% as of now. Need to take it to 80-85%. 

Today, I had a discussion with one of my friends from IIM Bangalore. He got an internship in a niche strategy consulting firm. Work life is hectic but he is getting paid 4 times his pre MBA salary( one of the less important benefits of an MBA ;) ) .  He says life is very hectic as they have around 5-6 presentations a week and lots of assignments. Well that is B school life I suppose. US schools are famous for rigor. Schools such as Darden explicitly boast about their exhaustive curriculum and how students 'survive' the rigor to become real managers.
More importantly, He made it clear that any big consulting firms demands an MBA sooner or later. If you are a consultant and you do not have an MBA, you will be left behind  in all aspects : roles, responsibility, compensation and yes influence. I say influence because consulting is about Impact as a resource. It is very easy for your firm to sell your cv to the client if you are an MBA( especially from a Top B school). Every type of consulting be it operations, strategy, technology or even environmental requires business sense and X factor.

Well it is already 3 a.m and I can't sink deeper in my chair. Even Iron Maiden's Trooper cannot keep me awake.

Signing off now....by the way next Clasico is in April... Mr. Mourinho needs to rebuild his team before that.

Cheers!!

No comments:

Post a Comment